MARDIS BUILDING/ KING DADDY'S CHICKEN & WAFFLES
National Register of Historic Places
Built in 1925 as West Asheville's largest commercial structure, the 15,200-square-foot building at 444 Haywood Road has been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
The brick facade was covered sometime in the 1960s, and the structure was somewhat overlooked as a historic building.
The merchant J.F. Mardis partnered with James G. Anderson of the Bank of West Asheville to build the structure in 1925 at Haywood Road and what was then Westwood Place, long before the construction of Interstate 240. The building housed a real estate office, a shoe store and other small businesses.
In 1974, the Smith family purchased the building in 1974 to house their business, Ace Appliance Co. The appliance store remained in this location until the business closed in 2008.
Now the renovated building hosts the Second Gear outdoor gear store as well as newer tenants, King Daddy's Chicken & Waffle and a clothing store, Rhetorical Factory.
From the Asheville Citizen Times