THE GROVE ARCADE
Asheville, North Carolina
An exceptional example of Gothic Revival architecture, the Grove Arcade began construction in 1927 as a shopping arcade with a 17story office tower above. In 1929, construction of the tower stopped at the 5th floor with the start of the depression. From the time of its opening until World War II, the arcade was the center of social and commercial life in Asheville. In 1942, the Federal government took the building over as part of the war effort, and it later housed federal offices and the National Climatic Data Center. In 2001, the building was renovated and returned to its original function as a mixed-use arcade. Shops and restaurants were built on the ground level, upper floors contain both office space and residential apartments. Completed Fall 2003 with a construction cost of approx. $25,000,000.
General Contractor: WeaverCooke